Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sunset over Lake Victoria

Tonight, we had the opportunity to travel to a treasure of a spot in Mwanza, a spot that not many people know of, but what a sight. We got to the top of a hill, covered in rocks just as the sun was setting and I sat down. I knew that as I soaked in the beauty of a daily event, happening all around the world, for everyone to experience, that God had put me in Mwanza, right now for so many reasons. My heart was filled with joy as a few friends surrounded me and the beauty of our Father, the Creator of all, was set right in front of us. The awe of the Lord, in a visible reality! Praise the Lord.


It has been several weeks since I have given an update. Time is flying by and as I sit in my room tonight, preparing to head to bed I look at my calendar, March 2009 already! I have been to Kenya and back in the last three weeks, for a nursing conference. During the sessions the Lord really put it on my heart, the desire to continue with my nursing career. As we went to different talks ranging from neonatal resuscitation to daily caring for patients with HIV/AIDS, I was overwhelmed with information but also a sense of yearning to learn more. There are many problems that many people can see all around the world, not issues that just people in Africa face. The Lord has blessed each and every one of us with a heart and a mind, to figure out what to do in situations and how best we can bring Him glory and honour. By the end of the conference, I was facing some challenges that I didn’t know how to work through. Supportive family and friends helped, prayer was essential and through that time I was able to seek out the Lord, finding peace in not fully coming to a ‘right’ answer. In my journal I wrote down Jude 20-21, “But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God’s love.” People from all over were able to help and built me up, through encouragement and prayer. Asante sana, thank you very much.
A short weekend in Nairobi ended the few weeks of traveling with debriefing. Amy Thompson, a staff member with the CRWRC, was able to walk the Tans and myself through a few questions that will help us as we prepare to go home. Before we knew it, we were driving down the road in Mwanza, getting back to the routine of Tanzania.


The next day it was back to the clinic, where things are continuing well. Back to rounds on the inpatient unit, documenting in charts, filling medication orders, interacting with beautiful young ones in the children’s room, laughing with staff members over our broken Swahili, and enjoying the last few days of work. Margaret and I are preparing a small presentation of information for staff from the clinic that will sum up a few sessions of the conference in the coming week.



The following days will be spent preparing for my mother’s visit to Tanzania. We are all excited for her to come to see Mwanza, my friends and my life here! I thank the Lord that we were able to arrange all the details that she could come. Please pray for a safe journey.

1 comment:

rubyslipperlady said...

It was so great to have you here, Erin! I'm looking forward to seeing you in Ontario next month.

How did it go with your training sessions for the staff there. That sounds interesting and fun. Hope it was all well received.